- Make it personal- Create a campaign that allows customers to interact and is unique to them. ClickZ’s example is the OfficeMax “Elf Yourself” campaign that launched awhile ago and allowed users to insert a picture of themselves on to dancing elves and send it to their friends. Allowing the users customized experience to be shareable will also be beneficial and will help drive customers back.
- Use your human resources- If low on budget or just looking for a different way to interact with customers, you can allow employees to take on a larger role and be the face of your campaign. REI did this by having customers tweet them asking for gift ideas and having their employees respond back with personalized video recommendations. This empowers your employees and gives your company an authentic voice.
- Go mobile- If you are a larger company, you should already have a mobile app, but many smaller start up companies do not yet. E-commerce has been growing constantly and receives a substantial push during the holidays. Utilizing mobile apps and having a good mobile website will allow you to keep the customers attention throughout all platforms. Mobile apps also allow push notifications that can alert customers of deals or let them know when they are near your physical store.
- Make your customers lives easier- Provide your customers something that saves them time or makes something they do easier. HubSpot did this by giving potential customer a free zipfile with a bunch of stock holiday photos that they could use for their social media sites. Customers appreciate the time saver and get a free sample of what your company can do for them.
- Don’t shortchange email- Even though fun and catchy social media campaigns are all the trend, don’t forget about email marketing. Customers still expect to receive great deals through email and sending ads with eye catching visuals and simple, straight to the point copy will get the attention of your customers and hopefully get them on your site. Also, including deals that are online exclusive or offering free shipping are a good way to generate more online sales according to Accenture.